Frequently Asked Questions

Emergency Contacts


Online Crisis Chat

Crisis Text Line

  • Text HOME to 741741


  • 703-527-4077

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

  • 988
  • 800-273-8255

Mason Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence Crisis Line

  • 703-380-1434

The Steve Fund (for students of color)

  • Text STEVE to 741741

Trans Lifeline (for the trans community)

  • 877-565-8860

The Trevor Project's TrevorLifeline (for LGBTQ+ students)

  • 866-488-7386

Veterans Crisis Line (for Veterans)

  • 800-273-8255, Press 1

Mason Police

  • 703-993-2810

Is CAPS only for students in crisis?

Who is eligible for services and what do they cost?

What types of professionals provide services at CAPS and are they licensed?

How do I make an appointment and what if I need help today?

I am a campus partner who is concerned about a student, what options are available to me and the student today?

I am a NOVA student in the ADVANCE program, what services can I access through CAPS?

How do I cancel or re-schedule an appointment?

What should I do if I am concerned about a student?

For Faculty/Staff and Caregivers

What steps should I take to make sure that I have mental health care while studying at Mason?

What are my rights as a client? 

Is my information confidential?

How can I get a letter or my medical records?

How can I interview a CAPS staff member?

Group Therapy FAQ’s

What if I have a question that is not included here? Please give us a call or come into CAPS and we will happily answer any questions you have.