CAPS at Mason is Here for You
Counseling & Psychological Services provides a wide range of free services to students. CAPS offers crisis, counseling, and psychiatric services virtually, and limited services in person. Services are provided by a staff of clinical psychologists, professional counselors, social workers, doctoral-level trainees, learning specialists, and a psychiatrist. Our individual and group counseling, workshops, and community education programs are designed to enhance students’ personal experience and academic performance. For distance learners, please see our Resources for Distance Learning page. We also provide consultation to faculty and staff who have concerns about a student.
Fall 2021 Hours
Our academic year business hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
Welcome! CAPS provides short-term mental health services for enrolled students. When a student’s needs require a different level of care, CAPS works with students to transition care to community providers. If a student is currently seeing a professional in the community for therapy and can continue to work with them, we encourage the student to continue care with their current provider.
The only way to initiate services at CAPS is by calling us at 703-993-2380 Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:00pm. Again, you must call us; we do not offer drop-in appointments.
- If this is your first time using CAPS services, you will need to call between 8:30am and 12pm Monday to Friday for an initial check in.
- If you have previously used CAPS services and are interested in reconnecting with mental health support, you will also need to call between 8:30am and 12pm Monday to Friday for an initial check in.
- If you are in crisis Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4pm, please call us at 703-993-2380 to speak with a counselor and determine how best to support your needs.
- If you are experiencing a crisis, please call us at 703-993-2380. If you are in crisis after our business hours or on weekends, please select option 1 in our phone system to be connected to an afterhours crisis counselor.
For more information on how to start services at CAPS or to make an appointment, please see our Make An Appointment page on our website.
What’s New at CAPS
- Access our Upcoming Outreach Events page to stay up-to-date with CAPS’ latest events!
- Students can now access a free online mental health screening tool via Ulifeline.
- Please check out our Fall 2021 Virtual Mental Health Workshops.
- Access suicide prevention resources on our Suicide Prevention page.
- Check out our newest Podcasts and Videos! Learn about a variety of topics related to well-being, mental health, and more!
Pledge of Support
At Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), we recognize that incidents of racism both within our campus community and outside of it can significantly impact the emotional well-being of our community members, particularly people of color. We acknowledge the significant pain that race-related aggression activates and the reality of racial trauma. We understand the ways in which power, privilege, and oppression can inflict hurt onto members of the Mason community.
It is our mission to support members of the Mason community by creating a safe, affirming, and inclusive environment that embraces diversity and honors the intersecting identities of everyone on our campus. CAPS provides a confidential space where students may seek support and process their feelings and reactions.
- Text HOME to 741741
- Text STEVE to 741741
- 800-273-8255, Press 1