COVID-19 CAPS Update
In an effort to protect the health of our students and our staff, we offer all counseling and crisis services virtually at this time. We also offer Virtual Mental Health Workshops and Virtual Academic Success Workshops. Please see our COVID-19 page for resources on how to cope and to read our statement on COVID-19 and discrimination.
If you wish to speak with a counselor between 8:30am-5:00pm (Monday-Friday), please call the CAPS office at 703-993-2380 and our staff will gladly connect you with a counselor over the phone.
For mental health crises outside of business hours, please call CAPS at 703-993-2380, select option 1, to connect with an after-hours crisis counselor. For emergencies, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
CAPS at Mason is Here for You
We provide a wide range of free services to students. Services are provided by a staff of clinical psychologists, professional counselors, social workers, doctoral-level trainees, learning specialists, and a psychiatrist. Our individual and group therapy, workshops, online self-help, and community education programs are designed to enhance students’ personal experience and academic performance. For distance learners, please see our Resources for Distance Learning page. We also provide consultation to faculty and staff who have concerns about a student.
What’s New at CAPS
- Access our Election Stress Resources page for information on upcoming support spaces and resources for coping with election-related stress.
- Students can now access a free online mental health screening tool via Ulifeline.
- Please check out our Fall 2020 Virtual Mental Health Workshops.
- Access our Upcoming Outreach Events page to stay up-to-date with CAPS’ latest events!
- Visit our Depression Screening Month page for information on depression awareness and online screening tools.
- Access suicide prevention resources on our Suicide Prevention page.
- Check out our newest Podcasts and Videos! Learn about a variety of topics related to well-being, mental health, and more!
- Connect to online support through Therapy Assistance Online, an interactive, web-based program that provides educational interventions and support for a variety of common mental health concerns.
Pledge of Support
At Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), we recognize that incidents of racism both within our campus community and outside of it can significantly impact the emotional well-being of our community members, particularly people of color. We acknowledge the significant pain that race-related aggression activates and the reality of racial trauma. We understand the ways in which power, privilege, and oppression can inflict hurt onto members of the Mason community.
It is our mission to support members of the Mason community by creating a safe, affirming, and inclusive environment that embraces diversity and honors the intersecting identities of everyone on our campus. CAPS provides a confidential space where students may seek support and process their feelings and reactions.
Crisis Text Line
- Text HOME to 741-741
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Veterans Crisis Line
- 800-273-8255, Press 1
Mason Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence Crisis Line