Services are available to currently enrolled and registered Mason students and are free (they are funded by part of your tuition dollars).
During the pandemic, all services are offered via teletherapy. Students must be at a location physically within the Commonwealth of Virginia during the time that services are provided.
Telehealth Services Information for Students
Telehealth services are conducted and documented in a confidential manner according to applicable laws in similar ways to in-person services. There are, however, additional considerations including:
- Telehealth services involve alternative forms of communication that may reduce visual and auditory cues and increase the likelihood of misunderstanding one another.
- Sessions could be disrupted or delayed, or communications distorted due to technical failures.
- In rare cases, security protocols could fail and your confidential information could be accessed by unauthorized persons. CAPS works to reduce these risks by using secure videoconferencing software.
- You may only engage in sessions when you are physically in Virginia. Your provider will confirm your current location at the beginning of each session.
- You will not record any sessions, nor will CAPS record your sessions without your written consent.
Should there be technical problems with the secure virtual software, the backup plan is contact by phone. Make sure that CAPS has a correct phone number at which you can be reached, and have your phone with you at session times. If you are unable to connect or get disconnected, please try to connect again. If problems continue, call CAPS at 703-993-2380.