Transition to Mason

Emergency Contacts


Online Crisis Chat

Crisis Text Line

  • Text HOME to 741741


  • 703-527-4077

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

  • 988
  • 800-273-8255

Mason Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence Crisis Line

  • 703-380-1434

The Steve Fund (for students of color)

  • Text STEVE to 741741

Trans Lifeline (for the trans community)

  • 877-565-8860

The Trevor Project's TrevorLifeline (for LGBTQ+ students)

  • 866-488-7386

Veterans Crisis Line (for Veterans)

  • 800-273-8255, Press 1

Mason Police

  • 703-993-2810

Transitioning to college can be a big adjustment; here are some things for you to consider prior to beginning your academic career at George Mason University:

  • If you are currently receiving mental health treatment and would benefit from long term therapy and medication, it is imperative to start the process of finding a long term treatment provider as soon as possible to ensure continuity of care. To make this transition as seamless as possible, please feel free to visit our online database for a list of local treatment providers or call Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for more information.
  • Remember to bring a copy of┬átheir┬áhealth insurance card.
  • If you are moving across state lines and require health insurance in Virginia, you are eligible to change your insurance carrier through Most insurance bought through state healthcare exchanges CANNOT be used across state lines. Check with your insurance provider prior to verify your coverage. You are also eligible to enroll in the student health insurance.