Help Transition Your Student

Transitioning to college can be a big adjustment; here are some things to consider prior to beginning your student’s academic career at George Mason University:

  • If your child is currently receiving mental health treatment and would benefit from long term therapy and medication, it is imperative to start the process of finding a long term treatment provider as soon as possible to ensure continuity of care. To make this transition as seamless as possible, please feel free to visit our online database for a list of local treatment providers or call Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for more information.
  • Remember to give your student a copy of their health insurance card.
  • If you’re moving across state lines and require health insurance in Virginia, you are eligible to change your insurance carrier through Most insurance bought through state healthcare exchanges CANNOT be used across state lines. Check with your insurance provider prior to verify your coverage. You are also eligible to enroll in the student health insurance.
  • If your student is receiving services through CAPS, a release of information signed by the student is required in order for our office to share information with you.
  • If you are concerned about your student’s welfare or personal safety, please call the Student Support and Advocacy Center or Mason Police for emergencies.

In Crisis?

Emergency Contacts

    National Suicide
    Prevention Lifeline
    GMU 24 hour Sexual Assault and Intimate Partner Violence Hotline
    Veterans' Crisis Hotline

Non-Emergency Contacts

    Counseling and Psychological Services
    Student Support
    Mason Police