Requests for Treatment Summaries

If you request a letter documenting services received at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), please note the following:

  • Students should not pursue services at CAPS for the sole purpose of obtaining a letter of support.
  • CAPS generally does not provide letters at the initial point of contact.
  • Letters are provided at the discretion of CAPS according to your clinical history, current functioning, and relevant legal and ethical statutes.
  • Letters will be provided primarily in the event that a treatment relationship has been established with a CAPS clinician.
  • Certain kinds of letters are outside the scope of CAPS, including disability or accommodation assessments and letters related to service or support animals. We can assist you in finding a provider who may be able to furnish requested documentation.
  • If you are currently being treated by a mental health or medical professional (or have been in the recent past), they would be the appropriate professional to provide the requested documentation.
  • All requests for letters must be made in person at least five (5) business days in advance of when it is needed.
  • You must fill out a Release of Information form at CAPS before a letter will be provided, even if you are requesting a letter addressed to yourself.

In Crisis?

Emergency Contacts

    National Suicide
    Prevention Lifeline
    GMU 24 hour Sexual Assault and Intimate Partner Violence Hotline
    Veterans' Crisis Hotline

Non-Emergency Contacts

    Counseling and Psychological Services
    Student Support
    Mason Police