Call 703-993-2380 to schedule an appointment for individual counseling or call at 8:30am to schedule one of 4 same day intakes available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Individual counseling assists students in resolving issues that cause emotional distress and interfere with personal goals and academic success. Issues students often address include:
- Educational and academic goals
- Personal, family, relationship concerns
- Difficulty with alcohol, other substances or food
- Sexual, physical, and emotional abuse
- Management of emotions such as anxiety, depression, grief, and anger
- Study skills and strategies
- Traumatic experiences
- Racial and diversity issues
- Sexual identity issues
Students who sought counseling have found it useful and positive:
- "Counseling helped me function more effectively as a student by allowing me to air my problems in a non-judgmental environment. Most of the time I feel better about myself, therefore allowing me to concentrate on my studies."
- "It helped me to introspect and gain more control over my feelings and over how I relate to life events and my relationships with others.[Counseling] helped me to have better self-esteem, self-confidence, less anxiety about academic life, and to sort through many problems..."